Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Eating Kitty Litter?!

Yes! I said eating Kitty Litter! Well, not actual kitty litter, of course, but a cake that looks so much like the real thing I've had people refuse to eat it! I first made this cake a few years ago for a Halloween party and it's been a regular at my house every year since. I've even had a couple of requests for birthday cakes! Enough hooblah, on with the cake!!


Note: This image is courtesy of a Google image search. My poor home computer is still not in proper working order and I don't want to do any more than necessary to it, so you'll probably see more of this!

What you'll need:

  • Plastic kitty litter pan (I used the large one from the dollar store)
  • Litter Scoop (again from the dollar store. I think both cost about $3)
  • 1 box Spice Cake mix
  • 1 box White or Yellow cake mix
  • 1 package vanilla sandwich cookies (NOT oreos, the ones with white icing and cookie)
  • Green sugar crystal sprinkles
  • Tootsie Rolls (the long ones work best)

You may want line the pan, but I usually don't do this. Just depends on what you want. I don't have cats so the liner is just an extra expense to me! Also, some recipes call for vanilla pudding added to the mix. I don't do this step either, though I did try it once. I made the cake ahead and by the time it was ready to be eaten, the pudding had made the cookies soggy. Blah!

Bake the cakes according to the instructions on the box. Meanwhile, in a food processor (or a zip lock with a big 'ole hammer!) crumble the cookies. Once the cakes have cooled, crumble them up with your fingers and mix the two cakes and about half of the cookies together. Spread into the litter box. Sprinkle the rest of the cookie crumbs over the top of the cake then top with the sprinkles to resemble the crystals in kitty litter. Next is the fun part! On a microwave safe dish, heat the tootsie rolls, a couple at a time, until they are pliable. Shape them into turd form and place around in the litter. I like to stick one on the scooper itself and have one hanging on the edge like the poor kitty had the runs! Be sure to get a little of the cake onto some of the tootsie rolls so that it looks like it's been a while since it was cleaned! Sudden thought: I wonder how those mini snicker bars would work with this? Hmm, I'll have to try that out next time! If you do, let me know it works out! You can put some news paper, or whatever you think makes it look genuine, under neath the pan.... just make sure your kitty knows the difference!! Enjoy!!

Since inventory has been done and work has finally slowed down, I will try and post at least one of my Halloween recipes these next couple of days! I'm so sad I've missed out on the festivities until now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every single one :) Tell me a little about yourself and leave a link to your blog so I can read yours, too!!

Sorry, but I had to implement a moderation system... WAY too much spam :(